Wellbeing Unit

Wellbeing Unit is a place where the focus is very much on wellness. Importantly, it’s a physical location you can come to disclose in a private and confidential setting and get support in all areas of wellbeing – physical and mental, making sure that any information regarding a disability gained from medical or psychological evaluations shall be considered confidential and shall be shared with others within the institution on a need-to-know basis only.

1. Physical health 

Special needs and medical condition students’ cases

Accessing Services

Students with both permanent and/or temporary disabilities can receive support services through Wellbeing UNIT and specifically through counseling services. Aiming to decrease university student life challenges and increase opportunities to:

  • Achieve academic success
  • Develop an on-going relationship with Wellbeing Unit
  • Improve communication with professors
  • Promote equal opportunity for all students
  • Assist students with identifying appropriate resources on campus

To be eligible for additional support through wellbeing unit, students must present documentation of a disability or medical report. In most cases, documentation will be needed from doctoral level professionals such as psychologists, medical doctors, psychiatrists, or neurologists. The type of documentation may vary depending upon the type of disability or the medical condition. Documentation should be current within student academic years of study, but exceptions may be necessary dependent upon individual circumstances and disability. All students with a disability or suffering from a specific medical condition who wish to access services are encouraged to contact the Wellbeing Unit in the early stages of their admission process.

Temporary Disabilities

Students who suffer a temporary injury or health-related occurrence and require assistance are encouraged to contact the Wellbeing office immediately. The staff in charge will collaborate and coordinate reasonable support for students with functional impairment. These may include broken bones, injuries requiring surgery and other acute illnesses.

Types of Accommodations

Support is determined based on the type of disability and the specific needs of the student. The following is a list of accommodations that are typically provided to KCST students:

  • Preferential seating (does not necessarily mean in front of the teacher’s desk)
  • Note-taking assistance which may include assistance from classmates, copies of classmates and/or instructor’s notes and/or overheads.
  • Extended time for tests, quizzes, and exams: This is usually arranged by faculty and done at the Wellbeing Unit.
  • Exams administered in a quiet, non-distracting environment.
  • Concise oral instructions and/or clarification of instructions.

The campus is considered a friendly environment for Students with special needs. Wheelchair ramps and elevators are widely available, along with designated parking and restrooms accessibility.

2. Mental health

Counseling services and Psychosocial support

Mental health and wellness are something all humans need to take care of. After all, each of us has a brain that impacts our feelings and emotions. Sometimes we need specialized treatment and psychosocial support to help take care of our health needs. Think for example, if someone experienced a physical wound. Sometimes they may be able to care for this at home, and other times they may need to see a doctor. The same goes for emotional needs. At times we can care of ourselves and at other times, the help of a mental health professional is needed. It can be hard to cope with all the changes that happen during your university academic years of studies. If you’re having trouble dealing with certain situations or emotions, you might find counseling to be a helpful way of sorting things out.

Why should I go to counseling?

If you’re thinking about whether counseling could be helpful to you, here are some questions to ask yourself:

  • Do you ever feel sad, frustrated, or lonely?
  • Do you feel especially angry, annoyed, or out-of-control?
  • Do you feel very anxious, worried, or guilty?
  • Have you experienced some major problems at home, at the university, or in your community?
  • Have you noticed some changes in the way you sleep, eat, or think and feel about life?
  • Is it hard for you to talk about these feelings with your family or friends?
  • Are these feelings having a bad effect on your life-are they making your college homework and your relationships with family and friends hard?
  • Aiming for personal and academic and professional Growth?

If you answered YES to any of these questions, it may be a good idea for you to talk with the student counselor to help you sort through your feelings, identify your problems, help you develop goals and objectives. You can expect that whatever you and your counselor discuss will remain confidential. The exception to this rule is that if the counselor feels that you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else, or if you are being abused or neglected, he/she is obligated by law to break confidentiality to keep you safe.

How Can I connect with the student Counselor?
  • You can book your appointment, please click on the link below, after receiving a confirmation message, your appointment is already reserved.
  • For emergency, you are welcomed to pass by the student counselor office at the clinic area, B-023, or contact on:Counselingservices@kcst.edu.kw